Friday, August 15, 2014

Starting a beauty habit on a budget

It's been 18 months since I started my blog, and for a long time before I started writing I was a beauty obsessive. I spent (and still do!) the majority of my time reading posts, making endless wish lists and filling up my Sephora basket online. As we all know it's easy enough to spend money, but how can you start a beauty habit without breaking the bank?

1, Read, read, read. 


Reading reviews is a great way to grasp whether the hype around a release is warranted. It can also prevent you from buying something that won't suit you. Following blogs allows you to hunt down those who have similar tastes to you (I know that gh0stparties has similar skin and beauty needs to my own) and take note of their coveted products. Having a good understanding of what goes into products is also helpful. I've built up a list over the years of ingredients and colours that don't gel with my skin (blush with red tones tends to be a big no...) and knowing this allows me to disregard some items before I even consider buying.

2. Sample it up. 



I am a sucker for a trend, which means as soon as I read a few good reviews on a product I immediately want to go and buy it. It takes a lot of self restraint not to but it really is important (if you can) to try before you buy. Most high end beauty brands will offer a plethora of advice and samples at the counters. Resist the temptation to buy online and go to these shops and ask to try a product. Many places will even provide you with a small amount to take away and use over a few days. If you're shopping in drugstores there are always samples available to try in store. I've found I have saved a lot of money by doing this. We don't all like the same thing, and it's important to only buy products that work for you.


3. Invest.




Investing in expensive items can sometimes be well worth the money. I often find buying one good item is better than wasting money on 3 or 4. Think about staples in your routine, that you're guaranteed to use everyday, and purchase ONE high end replacement. Be it a face wash, foundation, blusher or lipgloss, make sure it's not outlandish (gold eyeliner may seem like a good idea at the time) and that you're going to make good use of it. A boots haul may be fun every now and again, but I often find I appreciate items more when they come solo. 

4. Look for dupes.



This point may slightly contradict my previous tip, but it's not always necessary to spend a fortune on a product. Investing is great, unless you can find something with all the perks and a smaller price tag. Read blogs by those who really know the ins and outs of high end and high street make up, such as Lily Pebbles; a great example of a blogger who offers advice on hunting down high quality dupes. Keep an eye out for similarities in texture, colourings and ingredients between drugstore and high end items. 

5. Budget.



Trying not to sound too much like a parent, it is important that you keep an eye on what you're spending on skincare and makeup products. It's really easy to walk to aisles of boots filling your basket, but practice self restraint! I tend to put aside a budget at the start of the month, which means I make less impulse purchases and put more thought into what I pick up. If you want to go even further make a list of everything you buy, it can help you to release that you don't really need to buy 4 mascaras in one month...

So there are my tips. Do you have any great pointers for starting a beauty habit on a budget?

No comments:

Post a Comment